Day One: A Tale of Two Yarns.
Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

Let’s get the bad out of the way first, shall we? Noro Kureyon Sock. I want to love it. There’s so much about it that I could love. The colours, the striping, the rustic thick and thin, the way it softens in the wash. But then… I just can’t stand knitting with it. It’s hard. It’s rough. It feels like knitting with cotton because it has very little bounce and stretch, so it actually makes my hands ache after a few rounds on the sock. But every time I see it in the store, I want more of it. And the Stripey Striped Sock really is gorgeous. Maybe it would be better if I crocheted it? Or maybe I should just never buy it again.

But then there’s Cascade Heritage Sock. There is nothing about this yarn I don’t like – except maybe that it’s difficult to find some of the colourways in stores. The Cascade website shows Heritage in a multitude of colours, but even WEBS doesn’t seem to have most of them.

I’ve already made two pairs of socks out of this yarn, and there are two more skeins in my stash waiting to be knit up. (One of them will even be for myself!) It’s smooth and soft, but machine-washable and sturdy. I used it to design the Cakewalk Socks, which gives it even more of a place in my heart. The same yarn is available in solid colours, and also in 150g/492 yard skeins. I think it would be great for colourwork socks, too, although that may be a little on the ambitious side for my current knitting schedule. Maybe I could use it for colourwork armwarmers instead… ah, there I go, dreaming about the future again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
12 Responses to “In Which the Pirate Tells a Tale.”
  1. Vanessa says:

Another Cascade lover! I have yet to meet a brand of Cascade that I haven’t liked.

2. abigail says:

I completely agree about the Noro – it is rough and I’m not a huge fan of all the crazy colors (I’m a simple person). But I am kinda in love with your blog name – Knitting Pirate! Love it!

3. Claire says:

Wish there was more Cascade available over here, the Heritage Sock sounds great.

4. Saff says:

I have a skein of Cascade Heritage handpaints sat waiting to become something… maybe it needs a bit of smooshing?

Also not totally sure about Noro, it’s a funny thing.

5. Alexandra says:

I love the colors of Noro sock yarn, but I haven’t knit with it yet. I really want a pair of stripey socks though :D

6. rachel says:

I’ve used Noro Sock Garden to make a lacy Baktus scarf and the colors were amazing – I love how with Noro, there are always even more colors hiding in the middle of the skein.

7. I’m completely with you about the Noro. And I really love the colors…but it hurts my hands to knit with it. I also am a big fan of the cascades. I’m into the Eco-Duo these days. sooooo soft!

8. Kepanie says:

Cascade Heritage sounds interesting. I’ll to need to find that at my LYS and touch it. Nice to read a same opinion about Noro yarn. Why can’t it be soft?! You’re to the point and don’t beat around the bush; I appreciate that.

9. Jaimie says:

I am having a Noro love/hate thing. I have one skein of it, because I just wanted to try it. I have read so much about this yarn – rants AND raves. I started making a shawl with it (it’s the sock yarn), but it wasn’t working for me. So I have this lonely skein of Noro that I told myself I would not knit into socks, but that is probably what I am going to do.

I am so glad you mentioned the Heritage yarns – I have 3 skeins of it in my stash to make socks, but I am getting through some other projects first. I am glad I grabbed them and now I can’t wait to use them!

10. Yvonne says:

We agree about both these yarns. I tried knitting socks with noro and thought if I didn’t like how it felt in my hands I would hate it on my feet.
    Cascade on the other hand has lots of yummy yarns. This week I just bought a skein of epiphany which I love. Not sure what I’ll do with it, probably a wonderful cowl.

11. I pretty much loath Noro because it looks and feels so scratchy. But the colors really are quite something. sigh

12. anji says:

I’ve only knit one pair of socks out of Cascade Heritage (my Gaudete socks) but so far I’m really liking this yarn. I’m a bit scared of Noro since I knit a scarf out of Noro Silk Garden – it wasn’t particular silky, more scratchy…

13.