This afternoon I went again to the LYS for an hour or so of knitting. I had a plan; I was going to finish the gusset and turn the heel of a sock that I hadn’t expected to give me any trouble. As I got to the heel turn, I measured it up against the first sock and was surprised to find that my stripes were off by several rows. I’m usually more even with my gauge than that. (There was that one time that I knit several seriously tight rows on a scarf whilst having a stress-inducing conversation with my ex-mother-in-law, but other than that… *grin*)
I counted stitches, I checked the pattern, and then I realized… I’d made a mistake. I was supposed to have done the gusset over 34 stitches, not 32. The instep was supposed to have 30 stitches, not 32. I didn’t hesitate; I pulled the needles out of the sock and ripped back to just before I’d started the increases. Then I heaved a sigh, said something like “rassum frassum yar grr rar stupid sock, stupid gusset, arr yar grr rar,” and got the stitches back onto the needles, all in the right order, and lined up so that the heel will be in the proper orientation to the toe (I hope).
After that I didn’t really feel like knitting any more. But it’s ready to go… when I’ve forgiven it.