Although summer did its best to hang on long past its usual farewell, autumn is finally beginning to take hold. We had our first frost warning of the season this week. I gave in and turned the heat on (just at night, though) and put the electric blanket back on the bed… then I remembered that I’d been crocheting an afghan, and brought it out of hibernation. Here are the first four squares I made… three years ago. Ooops.
I’ve been working in strips that are 12 squares long, and I have three of those completed already. The finished blanket will have 14 to 16 strips in total, depending on how long it gets once I put it all together. The slowest part of the process is making the chain for each new square, so I thought I’d try making a strip or two of six double-sized squares. The last few rows are satisfyingly quick, with so few stitches to work.
Some of my friends are gently encouraging me to sign up for National Novel Writing Month, but I think I might dedicate November to this blanket instead. There’s little chance of actually finishing in only 30 days (not with 140 squares left to go, no way!) but if I focus, I could make some significant progress. Maybe I could even have it done before next summer…?
Comments Off on In Which the Pirate Pulls Out the Blanket.
Back in June, I started crocheting a replacement couch-blanket for the cats. I began with one ball of Loops & Threads Impeccable in the “Tropical Storm” colourway and added eight more skeins in July when I found a 40% off coupon, but I knew I still didn’t have enough to finish the blanket.
On Friday I was right near the artsy-crafts store, so I stopped in – just to look, of course. And that’s when I saw it: an entire bin of “Tropical Storm” on clearance. But wait. There was another bin of the same colourway at the regular price. I found an employee and asked which was right, and after much consideration she said that while the colourway I wanted wasn’t the one on clearance, it was obviously their stocking error and she would honour the lower price.
I bought eleven more balls of the stuff.
I’m working in strips of twelve squares, and I’m going to make at least sixteen strips. Each square is approximately 4″, so I’ll have a 48″ x 64″ blanket – that should be a good size for two people and two cats to snoogle under!
Comments Off on In Which the Pirate Gets a Deal.
After much deliberation, I picked out the yarn I’m going to use for the new cat-blanket. It’s Loops & Threads Impeccable, a soft acrylic that doesn’t seem like it will be too awful to use, in the “Tropical Storm” colourway. Then I picked a pattern, Bernat’s Mitered Squares Baby Blanket. Of course, I’m going to make it bigger than a baby blanket! It needs to be big enough for two people to snoogle under on cold winter nights, plus one cat. I’d measure the current blanket, but Kipling is snoozing on it at the moment.
I bought just one ball to test out the yarn and pattern, and after working up the first few squares, decided that I really, really like it. The stitches are worked in the back loop to create the ridged effect, and each square is begun directly from the square before it without having to break the yarn – always a bonus!
I found a 40% off an entire purchase coupon and bought eight more balls of the yarn with it, everything the store had in stock. That may or may not be enough for the whole blanket, but I figure I can just keep buying more until it’s big enough. While Loops & Threads does have dye lots, I’m really not worried about it for this project.
Hopefully I can get this thing finished by the time it’s cold enough to need it!
2 Comments »